John and Harvey

Talk about anything Farscape! Please direct specific discussions to their respective forums.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

Postby JackBauer on Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:50 am

"Once the idea that he could talk to everyone was firmly embedded in everyone's mind, the writers probably decided to ignore the whole thing"

Oh yeah they do on numerous occasions. Like when D'Argo and Chiana are in D'argos ship and D'argo yells something in Luxan, Chiana asks him what did that mean.
JackBauer
Delvian Pa'u

Postby littlejamie on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:33 am

John I think wasn't suppose to know about Harvey until the chip was to be removed.

Harvey was there to ensure the job was completed. John wasn't suppose to be able to control him like he did in the end summoning him for information.

I love their unique friendship they ended up with, Harvey dressing up with Earth clothes.
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby Mreen on Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:41 am

Translater microbes dont translate swear words, but Chiana is good at picking them up and figuring them out, so she often translates swear words for other characters.

John's brain wasnt structured the same as sebacian so the chip was having difficulties. John's subconcious, fighting the chip, often sent John signals that John wasnt sure how to interpret, but it was i na way no sebacean brain had reacted. When his brain started going off the rails, he and his subconsious were interacting a lot more than usual, so he started hearing and seeing Scorpy everywhere.

The writers will point to this as a hint, that we all think its Crichton's eyesight that made the difference, but we find out later it was the chip. Of course, it started out as his eyesight when they were making the ep, and it was later they came to the conclusion it wasnt - but the way the ep made it to air time, it plays out beautifully as a misleading piece of information they waved at us, to point back to later. Dont know if some editing later was added in between the idea and the airdate, but gotta say, they made it work so well.
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby littlejamie on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:56 am

Yeah John's brain is structured differently from sebacceans. So the chip was having difficulties because it wasn't structured for that type of brain structure.

Of course I imagine Scorpy would have different chip structures for different races.

Yeah I would agree the episode was well done.
"Next Ferengi we see, we run, no questions later. From this moment on, my one concern, my life, is you and our baby."
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby CaptainCrais on Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:23 pm

Crackers dont matter, Did anyone bother to think that Harvey being attached to johns mind, wasnt also affected by the light? being now a part of Johns Psychy i always took it that the Neural clone was affected by the light as well and Accidentally revealed itself to john, hence why harvy showed up in a Hawaiian shirt talking about naked sebaccean girls, maragrita shooters and Pizza. But in the Chaos, the Clone also helped john to hold onto some of his Sanity as well as protect him from it by absorbing the most of the light? Rember What Harvey and Scorpy told him in both "Wont get fooled again" and in "Liars Guns and Money" Trillogy. The Clone was installed to keep Chrichton safe until the Clone was ready for retrieval. Hence why the Scorpy clone was acting out in Crackers...
One who battles monsters should take care that they themselves do not become monsters. When you gaze into an Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you.-Friedrich Nietzsche

"Time"-"'s Up"-"Time"-"Flys"-Time"-"Bandits"-Time"-"Wounds all heals"-"Time"-"Rosemary and"-Time"-"'s Up!" <Blast> <Freeze> "Time..." "Either stop pointing guns at people or get a bigger gun!" -Einstein and John on the Iceberg, Episode "Unrealized Reality"
CaptainCrais
Peacekeeper Commander

Postby littlejamie on Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:23 pm

The light could of affected him which caused himself to be revealed then, but don't think so about the hawaiian shirt and margarita shooters.

They were only affected by the light. In season 3&4 he continued doing whacky things and outfits. Maybe to relate to him better, after all they were stuck together.
littlejamie
Kalish Resistance

Postby Emram on Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:53 pm

CaptainCrais wrote:Crackers dont matter, Did anyone bother to think that Harvey being attached to johns mind, wasnt also affected by the light? being now a part of Johns Psychy i always took it that the Neural clone was affected by the light as well and Accidentally revealed itself to john, hence why harvy showed up in a Hawaiian shirt talking about naked sebaccean girls, maragrita shooters and Pizza. But in the Chaos, the Clone also helped john to hold onto some of his Sanity as well as protect him from it by absorbing the most of the light? Rember What Harvey and Scorpy told him in both "Wont get fooled again" and in "Liars Guns and Money" Trillogy. The Clone was installed to keep Chrichton safe until the Clone was ready for retrieval. Hence why the Scorpy clone was acting out in Crackers...

The neural clone was, effectively, a seperate entity to John Crichton. While anything that affected Crichton's mind could affect the clone, it doesn't necessarily follow that it would affect it in the same way.

The light in CDM may well have altered John's mind enough that Harvey's presence became known to him, but the clone itself remained entirely unchanged.
"Emram's Taxidermy, you snuff 'em, we stuff 'em!"
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Mreen on Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:35 pm

well, the idea was, that the first time someone watches Crackers Dont Matter, they think John's poor eyesight was what give him the edge, abling him to control his reactions more and get everyone focused in the right direction. At the end of season 2, we know that the chip is programmed to protect John, to keep him alive for Scorpy, and that the chip was doing its bit to stave off the effects of T'ralltix.

My personal opinion was that the interaction of the chip/neural clone inside it, and John's brain, during the the crisis, gave us our first Scorpy hallucination, and that his subconcious built on that, to create Harvey/scorpy in an interactive form, a way John gave himself to fight off the control as much as he could.

I guess we can cause those hallucinations neo-Harvey, the seed from which it all began. 8)
Mreen
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Chocolate on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:54 pm

I can't remember on which episode it happens, it's pretty early after she joins the crew, someone asks Chiana what she's doing and she says she's "having sex with three Hynerian donkeys, what does it look like I'm doing?"

So... It's either donkeys and monkeys are universal, or translator microbes are really gifted and creative, or the writers got careless :lol: ...

whichever you like...
[/quote]
"It is pointless to lie to your God as I am All-Knowing as well as All-Beautiful." - Vala Mal-Doran
Chocolate
Luxan Warrior

Postby AERYNSUN on Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:29 pm

In my opinion, as Scorpious didn't know human's fisiology, he couldn't know the effect that the neurochip would have in John's mind.

If the neuro chip had been implanted in a known species for him he would have known the effects.
AERYNSUN
Hynerian Dominar

Postby Firecracker on Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:43 pm

Mreen wrote:My personal opinion was that the interaction of the chip/neural clone inside it, and John's brain, during the the crisis, gave us our first Scorpy hallucination, and that his subconcious built on that, to create Harvey/scorpy in an interactive form, a way John gave himself to fight off the control as much as he could.

I guess we can cause those hallucinations neo-Harvey, the seed from which it all began. 8)

I like that. It is a theory that works both backwards and forwards in the storytelling.

And also could explain the 'bleed' that Crichton had - the bleed that isn't normal.

So we owe Harvey to Traltix! Who knew? ;)
God, I love science fiction!

Click the banner to link to Farscape Canada.

Firecracker
Peacekeeper High Command

Previous

Return to General Farscape