GUYS AND GALS PLEASE!!!! Please put spoiler warnings!

Talk about anything Farscape! Please direct specific discussions to their respective forums.

Moderators: SunKrux, chryse, Dani Moure, Emeraldcity

GUYS AND GALS PLEASE!!!! Please put spoiler warnings!

Postby BritAngie on Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:19 am

A plea please from this mod..

If your thread or post contains spoilers pertaining to the mini series please mark it as a "spoiler" in the thread title please. (for my sanity! :D )

Also no spoilers in titles please either. There are ALOT of folk who haven't seen the mini and don't want to be accidentally spoilt.

Thank you!

Mod Edit: SunKrux
ADDITION TO THE RULE: Please do NOT use any pics/screen caps/grabs as your AV or in your sig. THEY ARE SPOILERS for those who've not seen the mini yet.

Come on people...be kind to those who've not seen the mini yet. Use your brains!! If you use any pics from the mini, especially if they aren't the PROMO pics, You're SPOILING your fellow fans. That's not nice.

Some of you have gotten pm's from me requesting that you remove any pics from the mini. THANK YOU for doing so without making a big stink about it. :D Your fellow NON-US fans and management THANK YOU. :D

:bearhug: :kiss:
Last edited by BritAngie on Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BritAngie
Chocoholic Underling
Chocoholic Underling

Postby Emram on Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:33 pm

Unfortunately, I just ran into a spoiler :( :( :cry:

No spoiler warning in the thread title (although there was in the post itself, to be fair). I instantly clicked back, but just happened to catch it out of the bottom of my eye.

This wasn't a small spoiler, either, so please, make sure that even if it's a teeny tiny spoiler, make sure that it is REALLY obvious!

I was being really good as well - never mind.
"Emram's Taxidermy, you snuff 'em, we stuff 'em!"
Emram
Hynerian Dominar

Postby BritAngie on Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:46 pm

Just to reiterate!!

Guys and gals.. please for my one thread of sanity, if you post in a thread that has no spoilers and then post a spoiler yourself can you either a) reconsider what you are doing as someone could come across it accidentally, B) mark it as a spoiler and with a space and c) let the mods know the overall thread needs a spoiler warning. I've been running myself ragged reading every thread trying to catch all these and I feel like it's a losing battle.
Please be nice to scapers who are yet to enjoy the mini please?

Any Us scapers who spot a thread which has had spoilers added to it please Pm us mods and let us know and we will get to it as soon as humanely possible.

Thanks!
BritAngie
Chocoholic Underling
Chocoholic Underling

question

Postby JH on Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:20 pm

I asked in another post but this question fits better here.

When do we no longer need to put spoiler warnings?

thanks
JH
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Re: question

Postby Dani Moure on Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:19 am

JH wrote:When do we no longer need to put spoiler warnings?

We usually consider episodes "spoiler safe" when it has aired in the US and UK. That's been the policy in the past, but depending on the volume of posts at that time we may have to re-assess. But in general, it is always nice to add a spoiler warning to a thread with specific plot points for more recent things just in case.
.dani//MOURE
Webmaster and anime maniac. Raelee Hill's biggest fan. David Kemper's biggest fan too.
Also webmaster/owner of Farscape World (duh!).
Dani Moure
Evil Overlord
Evil Overlord

Postby Dani Moure on Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:20 am

And as another point, something I posted in another thread. Regarding people calling each other idiots for not putting spoiler warnings, and people calling those people idiots. And pretty much anyone calling anyone an idiot:

This is beginning to annoy me. Stop calling each other idiots. I know you're annoyed but it's just as childish and it's against the rules to bash other users.

Please tell people about putting spoilers in thread titles, but some are new members who may never have posted on a message board before. It's frustrating but try and be polite.
.dani//MOURE
Webmaster and anime maniac. Raelee Hill's biggest fan. David Kemper's biggest fan too.
Dani Moure
Evil Overlord
Evil Overlord

Stop calling each other idiots..

Postby Vis Major X on Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:04 am

Stop calling each other idiots.. and put spoiler warnings on posts!

Got you.. but uh.. what if I put IN MY SIG.. a disclaimer that all posts are libel to contain spoilers and therefore is not the duty of the poster to warn ahead of time? Or my avatar could say SPOILER ALERT in it..?

Isn't it kinda pointless Dani? I mean can't someone be smart enough to figure out that people are PRETTY MUCH going to be talking about the NEW STUFF no matter WHAT the post contains?

Wouldn't it make more sense to make a section spoiler free and have sections that are spoiler full? That would take the guess work out of stuff like this..

.. don't forget too.. this mini thing is just a bad example of what happens when existing rules don't fit a new situation too right?

Governement (you Dani) can not always be on top of everything and 'fix' everything before it happens.. you just sorta have to roll with shit.

Not trying to give you a hard time, Dani.. its just that.. with this mini thing.. this whole spoiler thing is a lost cause.. if you DON"T KNOW what happened yet.. then.. you MUST NOT be reading messages because its just too obvious ya know? I dunno.. it just seems impossible to me to mark every post SPOILER then its all completely redundant isn't it?

Shouldn't people JUST EXPECT that if they are reading messages ABOUT THE SHOW then they are going to contain information ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED?

I dunno. Posted once and I'm twice shy.. I just don't know.. I'm all out of ideas here.. my plans suck, people die when I post spoilers.. I just want it all over man.. make it quick or slow.. Danis perogative.

VMX
Vis Major X
Luxan Warrior

Postby BritAngie on Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:36 am

VMX the spoiler issue is not a "lost cause". This is an international board-Scapers are an international group. There is a HUGE UK Farscape audience for example. For years when the series was on and different eps were shown in different places we managed to maintain spoiler safety for folks. The mini series is no different and we won't be changing our rules. You will find it is the same on pretty much every Farscape forum.

In the US you may have had the luxury of watching what we have waited 2 years for but is it fair to make other Scapers in the rest of the world stay away from the community for weeks and weeks(could be months) for fear of having their experience ruined? We are a community and as such we try to cater to everyone. That's what makes Scaperdom so special. We aren't going to change that at this point in the game. :) It really only takes what 2 seconds to put the word spoiler in the title. Is that really such a hardship?
BritAngie
Chocoholic Underling
Chocoholic Underling

Re: Stop calling each other idiots..

Postby Dani Moure on Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:13 pm

Quite frankly, I'm finding it increasingly disappointing that some people are making such a big deal out of having to put spoiler warnings on things. It's not hard, it's a SINGLE WORD added to the topic title. And yet so many people are making a mountain out of it. It's getting silly now.

When the UK got the end of seasons 2, 3 and 4 before everyone else, for the most part, they maintained spoiler warnings so as not to spoil everyone else and I don't honestly recall any UK posters complaining about giving spoiler warnings.

The point is that so many Scapers AROUND THE WORLD have waited since the cancellation was announced, and then after seeing the finale, for the conclusion to the series and so why, just because it's aired in one place, should everyone else have to avoid coming to the site or forums at all just to avoid spoilers?

The simple answer is they shouldn't. It's unfair, and so that's that. We are an international forum, just as Farscape fans are an international audience, and we're not going to exclude the international audience anymore than anyone else. It always amuses me because people seem to forget that the audience in the UK was actually higher for the series than in the US.

Anyway, addressing your particular comments:

Vis Major X wrote:Isn't it kinda pointless Dani? I mean can't someone be smart enough to figure out that people are PRETTY MUCH going to be talking about the NEW STUFF no matter WHAT the post contains?

People are smart, but like everyone else expect spoilers for stuff they haven't seen to be marked. And the point is that NOT EVERYONE HERE has seen the NEW STUFF to be able to talk about it.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make a section spoiler free and have sections that are spoiler full? That would take the guess work out of stuff like this..

No, and there is NO GUESS WORK involved. The rules for spoilers are simple, and have been stated in several posts. If you want to talk about The Peacekeeper Wars content, go to that forum and post there. Don't put spoilers in your topic title. If your title isn't very descriptive, then add the word "Spoilers" to it. If posting about something else in another forum and you want to discuss something spoiler-y, put a warning in the topic title or in the thread itself. It's simple. You don't have to guess. If you're posting about something that happened in the mini-series, put spoilers. I really don't see the difficulty.

.. don't forget too.. this mini thing is just a bad example of what happens when existing rules don't fit a new situation too right?

No, because it's working just fine so far. The only people who are occasionally posting unmarked spoilers are new members, who we are explaining the policy to and they have all been fine with it so far.

Governement (you Dani) can not always be on top of everything and 'fix' everything before it happens.. you just sorta have to roll with shit.

We did roll with it, which is why I created the forum for PKW. The spoiler posts were out of hand so we dealt with it. And the point is we do have to try and be on top of things and be responsible towards all our members, not just those who have seen the mini-series, or those that just haven't. I don't want people coming here and to be unexpectedly spoiled.

Not trying to give you a hard time, Dani.. its just that.. with this mini thing.. this whole spoiler thing is a lost cause.. if you DON"T KNOW what happened yet.. then.. you MUST NOT be reading messages because its just too obvious ya know? I dunno.. it just seems impossible to me to mark every post SPOILER then its all completely redundant isn't it?

No, it's not a lost cause, and there are plenty of messages throughout the forums without any spoilers at all, some even discussing the effects of the mini. Which, you know, kind of proves your point wrong. The point is that people looking to avoid spoilers, guess what, don't read posts with spoiler warnings at all! So the spoiler warnings do there job.

Shouldn't people JUST EXPECT that if they are reading messages ABOUT THE SHOW then they are going to contain information ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED?

No, because not EVERY DISCUSSION about the show has to be about ONE MINI-SERIES. Yes, that's right, there were EIGHTY-EIGHT other episodes to discuss, too. And lots of other general topics. Shocking though it may be, there's more to Farscape than PKW.

I just don't know.. I'm all out of ideas here.. my plans suck, people die when I post spoilers.. I just want it all over man..

OK, if that's not over-dramatising things then I don't know what is. No one's saying people die with spoilers, but the fact is some people don't want to know MAJOR STORY POINTS, and should be able to keep discussing their favourite show with other fans without finding them out before they can see it for themselves.

It cracks me up that people are complaining so much. Would everyone have been happy if I'd just posted a three line summary of major plot points from PKW and made it the FarscapeWorld.com home page?

So like, say, night of the mini, you could've come to FarscapeWorld.com and seen:

Tonight, on PKW:

This, this and that happens! Have fun watching now you know what'll happen!

Sure, that would've gone down well! This whole thing is just becoming selfish on the part of those that have seen the mini and I'm finding it ridiculously frustrating and stupid. It's starting to verge into childishness.

I'm sorry VMX, a lot of what I said is general commenting on the whole situation and not directed solely at you, but your post has kind of tipped me over the edge. Anyway, this is the last time I'll take part in these discussions, I think.
.dani//MOURE
Dani Moure
Evil Overlord
Evil Overlord

Re: GUYS AND GALS PLEASE!!!! Please put spoiler warnings!

Postby GigiEdgleyEnterprise on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:16 am

I agree!
GigiEdgleyEnterprise
Hoo-man... Lost in Space

Return to General Farscape